Tuesday, August 4, 2009

How to get over depression without use of prescription drugs?

I had a baby 8 months ago and was monitored because of post-partum depression. While that has gone away, I seem to have become severly depressed from things other than the baby. I lack any motivation to do things, even eating is a struggle. I do eat but usually not until I have been starving for hours. I just don't want to get up until it's so bad that I'm in pain. I at one point had to get treatment for panic disorder. It was gone for awhile but is back again. My main problem is not being able to become motivated enough to do daily activities. I know exercise will help me but I can't do that when I have no energy. I hate prescriptions. Please don't suggest any of those to me. Any herbal or natural remedies would be great though. Thanks.
Answer:
You could look into acupuncture, Tui Na massage, reflexology or Shiatsu, they can all lift me from the dolldrums.
Aromatherapy oils and chinese herbal medicine can be helpful too.
And will power ... a lot of it ...
Seriously, GO SEE A DOCTOR. IF IT'S THAT BAD YOU NEED HELP.
I will not suggest prescriptions to you, even though antidepressants has transformed the lives of millions and herbal remedies have a poor track record. I won't discuss the possibility that you could take enough antidepressants to begin an exercise program that might also aid in your recovery.The other thing I won't talk about is the fact that some folks suffering from depression sometimes resist the very thing that could get them going again.And I won't talk about the critical role of therapy that would at least get you in front of a person who could give you the pro's and con's of taking meds and help you assess the reasons you resist medication.
Look up natural remedies for depression on the web. Get off the computer and start a routine of some sort. Yeah, you have to get exercise. Get your baby out in the sun a couple times a day. Take magnesium, liquid colloidal minerals, omega 3, 6, and 9 fish oil, zinc, and b6 daily. Hope it helps.
Medication therapy is indicated in depression.
Cognative-behavioral therapy is also indicated.
The best outcome is found when one uses a combination of both.
If you do not want to use medication, you may try homeopathic compounds like St. John's Wort.
I too was determined not to use prescription medications to treat depression. Over the course of two years, I tried: chinese herbs, homeopathy, St John's Wort, exercising more, nutrition. The chinese herbs helped a bit, and for a while. If you go this route, make sure you go to a reputable chain so that the ingredients are safe; chinese herbs can be REALLY powerful and some can cause problems.Many people say St John's Wort helps - for me it did nothing. I suspect it works well for mild depression - yours sounds worse than that, though.After two years, and with my depression getting worse until I was no longer functioning, I was forced to do something I'd sworn never to do, and start taking antidepressants. The first two didn't work. Thank goodness the third one is helping a lot and I feel SO much better.If you try all the natural methods and nothing helps, don't reject medication - life is too short to spend battling depression when there is help available.Cognitive behavioural therapy has also shown to be good at treating depression.If you try the St John's Wort, remember it interacts with several medicines, including the birth control pill; also, you can't take it if you're also on antidepressants.
I have had bouts of depression my entire life. I thought it was just forever going to be that way. I got up, started walking a little each day, stopped eating junk and have tried my very best to make sure I am in line with my spiritual beliefs. Is there something that you are doing that you dislike yourself for? For me, it was a combination of many things, my genetics, my diet and lack of exercise and I was doing things that my upbringing told me was 鈥榳rong鈥欌€?I was out of line spiritually with my own beliefs and it was causing me to hate myself which added to me depression. Seek out what the problem is 鈥榯he best help is self help鈥? Good luck sweetie. There is always hope where you want to find it, don鈥檛 give up. Seek help.
St. Johns Wort is a wonderful, wonderful herb. I had horrible depression, everyday was a challenge to get through and life seemed like torture. I am only 16, so I didn't want to take the antidepressants because of the suicidal risk. So I looked up some remedies online. It said St. Johns Wort, so I gave it a shot.I purchased some and started taking it. In just 4 weeks I felt like a new person. It is worth it's weight in gold.It *may* be harmful to eat foods containing tyramine while taking St. Johns Wort because of it's mild MAO Inhibition effects. MAO "cleans up" tyramine in the brain, and St. Johns Wort inhibits MAO somewhat, so tyramine builds up and raises blood pressure to an unsafe level.This is because the cheaper brands, like store brands, and run-of-the-mill Natures Way, Solaray, etc, use stems in the "grind" they use. The stems contain xanthrones, which have the MAO inhibiting properties.Grind is not what you want, you want an extract. Before I say this, I want to say that I am not gullible and believe the lies of the companies, etc.I use HBC Protocols brand of St. Johns Wort Extract (also known as: Hypericum Perforatum) it is what is used when the NIH (National Institutes Of Health) do studies and such. It contains only the important chemicals (hypericin %26 hyperforin) extracted from the flowering tops of the plant, no stems. Meaning two great things. One: It only contains the chemicals that help depression, not the whole plant ground into a pill. Two: It is completely safe to eat tyramine containing foods with.It is around $35 for a 3-Month Supply. It is only the cost of one prescription on insurance! You take 3 tablets per day, thats the universal dose. I find it easy to take 2 in the morning and 1 at night. I find it hard to remember the middle dose, so I take it in the AM. Which is completely safe, even taking all 3 at once is safe, just not as effective.You can also combine it 5-HTP for a quicker relief time, and better depression control. Crappy quality 5-HTP's have "Peak X" in them, which you dont want either. HBC's 5-HTP or Griffonia, has none.I feel safe taking both because they are tested and tested again by the company.Also, definitely add a Multi Vitamin and B-Complex. They will help tremendously as well.Hope This Helps!Please feel free to email me at Emeraldkid11@aol.com with any questions. I have been taking them for awhile, and know ALOT about them now. I have read countless pages of literature about them, and questioned the hell out of the companies.
There are a number of natural alternatives available to you. Fish oil has been proven effective my numerous medical studies for the treatment of depression. Usually, it's necessary to take at least 3,000 mg of the omega-3 acids in fish oil in order to begin to achieve a therapeutic effect. The side of the bottle will tell you what the concentration of omega-3s is. MSM can also help. MSM is a type of sulfur supplement (not related to sulfa drugs). There are a number of websites out there that explain how MSM works. Another one that I've recently heard of (and used with success myself) is called SAMe. This is a supplement that helps to balance the neurochemicals in the brain, but WITHOUT ALL THE SIDE EFFECTS of prescription drugs. The dosage varies with the individual, but most people need to start around 800-1000 mg. per day in order to start to see an effect.Also, you might try sitting out in the sun for at least 20-30 minutes every day. Sunlight creates natural mood boosters in the body. Chances are, if you decide to go the natural route, you'll need at least a couple of supplements in order to see results. And you may need to experiment before you find the right combination. BTW, all of the supplements I've recommended are very safe and do not interact with each other.One other thing you would do well to try is psychotherapy. A psychologist or therapist can help you figure out how to better cope with the things in your life that are causing your depression; and a psychologist/therapist will not prescribe medication (because they can't).I wish you well, and I hope you find something that helps.
I'd have lots of suggestions if this wasn't a post partum depression. Your hormones are out of whack; this is a physical phenomenon and a few months of antidepressant WORKS.your baby is being impacted from this depression, so perhaps you could rethink this. It's not longterm
HELLO,
ST. JOHN'S WORT IS A WONDERFUL HERB FOR DEPRESSION AND UNLIKE DRUGS IT DOESN'T HAVE NASTY SIDE EFFECTS.
Ask your doctor about high-dose vitamin d, fatty acids such as EPA and DHA, general vitamin supplementation, and use of neurotransmitter precursors such as tyrosine and 5htp.
Depression occurs due to inefficient levels of Serotonin. Pharmaceuticals only work on the serotonin and adrenalin produced by your body but do not elevate levels. The reason for this is that Dopamine and Serotonin do not cross the blood brain barrier and are excreted. The only way to raise levels is through aerobic exercise and specific amino acids.5-hydroxytryptophan is an amino acid that crosses the blood brain barrier and the brain converts it to 5-HT (serotonin). Tyrosine is another amino acid that converts into dopamine. You will also need to take Cysteine as well.This is laid out in detail at www.advantagehealthrehab.com. Just go to the site and click on amino acids. This works.
hey, there are some natural remedies to help lift depression from the free report over at http://www.secretnaturalremedies.com...

No comments:

Post a Comment