Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What combination of vitamins and minerals can I take instead of anti depressants ?

I have a reasonable knowledge of both pharmaceutical drugs and herbal/nutrient alternatives. I am taking SJW, 5HTP and B6. I also take Lofepramine (a tricyclic prescription drug) sometimes to help me sleep. I'd rather just take natural supplements.
Answer:
Mmm you seem to be doing pretty well. Without an in depth knowledge I wouldn't suggest much.
The 5 -htp should help sleep.
Sainsburys do an evervescent vitamin called 'revive', strong in C, Bs zinc and magnesium. Tesco do a similar for only 拢1.29 for 20.
A good book is Optimum Nutrition for the Mind by Patrick Holford, I got it from the library. He explains how a lot of anti depressants are covering up poor nutrition. He also does The New Optimum Nutrition Bible. These explain a lot of the science behind, and have chapters on depression etc..
Also regular exercise, 20 minute walk once a day will help.
Good luck, you are not alone.
I take Veridian multivitamin tablet - not everyday but when I feel a bit low and just before my period. Try doing some exercise if you don't already. I will really make you feel good as it releases the natural feel good hormone seritonin. You only need about 15 minutes brisk walking to do the trick. Reduce caffine and stop smoking if you smoke. I have done all othe above and ridden myself of anxiety and panic attacks that I have suffered with for over 5 years. I really do not like the idea of taking medication - it is a short term solution - quite often they give you side affects like, being tried, and lethargic.
Have you tried KALMS you can get them in supermarkets like tesco there ok
Have a look at SAMe on Dr Ray Sahelians website, lots of info and a user forum there too.
First off I think sjw is'nt so good to take. It's actully been shown to do nothing more than a placebo. Take b-50. You need more than just pyridoxine(b6). You might also wanna think about your diet. Eating healthy and fitness is such a great way to be happy.
Are you sure you're OK taking both SJW and an anti depressant? I was always told never, ever to combine the two... Just a thought.
I am afraid vitamins and minerals will not fix your depression. No one can make use of extra vitamins anyway. Once you have had your RDA , which just requires a healthy balanced diet, any additional vitamins are peed out if they are water soluble, though there are now concerns that doses of vitamin C greater than 500mgs/day may be carcinogenic. Fat soluble vitamins may accumulate and be toxic, Vitamin A can damage the eyes and Vitamin D the kidneys.
Exercise is the best cure for depression
If you really need anti-depressants take them.If you are only down every now and thenl you can do lots of things.Get exercize. Take up Qigong, Tai Chi, or Yoga.Take Valerian root, Saint John's wort, or others.
St Johns Wort has been helping me and I know that you should not be taking them with Lofepramine. A healthcare practitioner told me i would also need essential fatty acids (Omega 3, 6 and 9) for healthier brain functioning. Maybe Valerian could help you sleep but not sure if you can take this with SJW. Maybe you could try a qualified herbalist who could monitor progress with what you are taking. Good luck.
New Sun offers a full line of natural supplements for everything you can imagine. Plus, they won't counter-act with any prescriptions you decide to stay on. If you want to check out your options, look at the link below.
There are lots of supplements that can help with depression, the best ones for women i find are Bvitamins, zinc and magnesium.you can sometimes buy a combination of these.good luck
Vitamins and minerals are not really a good solution to depression. Essentially they just make your body work better. Some foods can aid depression; croissants are to be avoided if depressed. However, you have not mentioned aromatherapy, which I have enjoyed great success with. See an aromatherapist for some oils. I could tell you which oils to use, but it would be cheaper to see an aromatherapist than make your own 'stuff.' And I would get so many thumbs down that you'd probably never get to see my advice..
multivitamins and Iron Folic of http://www.nutrilite.com are very good

1 comment:

  1. Being a physician, I admittedly always am skeptical of new products on the market. After using Purity12 for just 3 days, I knew I had to provide a testimonial for this product. I was absolutely blown away. I’ve never really had great skin and with the constant stress of attending all my medical duties, the quality of my skin definitely began making a good improvement. As soon as I used Purity21, it was like my skin was rejuvenated unlike it had ever been before. Now I have a partner that will save me from all my skin care worries. Purity12 really works! http://if1s.com?116

    ReplyDelete